Stephen P. Cooney
LinkedIn | Martindale-Hubbell
Steve joined the firm in 2003 and is a Partner in the Litigation Practice Group.
He is a cum laude graduate of the University of New Hampshire in 1997 and Roger Williams University School of Law in 2002, where he served as Articles Editor of the Roger Williams Law Review. He served a judicial clerkship with the Rhode Island Supreme Court Clerk Department. He is admitted to practice in all Rhode Island and Massachusetts state and federal courts, as well as the U.S. Court of Appeals for the First Circuit.
Steve’s work focuses on civil litigation, including defense of products liability, toxic tort, premises liability, transportation litigation and insurance claims. He handles complex litigation from inception through trial for many local and national corporations. He has also practiced extensively in alternative dispute resolution and has argued before the Rhode Island Supreme Court. Steve has recently focused on the defense of asbestos-related claims by manufacturers, distributors and premises owners, across the country.
Steve was named a Best Lawyer® in defending mass tort class actions in The Best Lawyers in America. He has achieved the Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent Peer Review Rating and was previously named a “Rising Star” by Super Lawyers Magazine. He is a member of the Rhode Island State and Federal Bar Associations, Defense Counsel of Rhode Island, Defense Research Institute, and past board member of the Roger Williams University Law Alumni Association.
- J.D., Roger Williams University School of Law
- B.A., University of New Hampshire
- Rhode Island
- U.S. District Court – District of Rhode Island
- U.S. District Court – District Court of Massachusetts
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the First Circuit
- AV-Preeminent Martindale Hubbell
- Best Lawyers ®
- Professional Excellence | Law – Rhode Island Monthly
- Rhode Island Bar Association
- Massachusetts Bar Association
- Fellow, Litigation Counsel of America
- Diversity Law Institute
- Trial Law Institute
- Order of Certus
- American Bar Association
- Defense Counsel of Rhode Island
- Defense Research Institute